Australian expat working in San Francisco since 2014. I have over 15 years of engineering and management experience in a number of different roles and industries.
Engineering Manager - Zendesk: Sunshine Platform
January 2018 - Current (San Francisco, CA)
- Leading teams building core components of the Zendesk Sunshine Platform.
- Working with stakeholders to ensure the smooth running of projects, which has lead to consistently delivering major milestones on time.
- Advocated for the operational ownership of products and defined processes to support this.
- Helping align technical requirements of projects with the professional development of team members.
- Providing technical leadership to teams and mentoring engineers.
Team Lead - Zendesk: API Platform
May 2017 - December 2017 (San Francisco, CA)
In addition to my duties as a Staff Engineer and Technical Lead, I also manage the team.
Staff Engineer/Technical Lead - Zendesk: API Platform
December 2015 - December 2017 (San Francisco, CA)
In addition to my duties as a Senior Software Engineer on the API Platform team:
- Technical Lead on the API platform; responsible for team technical decisions.
- Lead planning and development of next generation API frameworks.
- Design, build, and coordinate shared services and product features across multiple teams/timezones.
Senior Software Engineer - Zendesk: API Platform
December 2014 - November 2015 (San Francisco, CA)
- Project Lead developing the API Dashboard, a tool to help customers visualize API usage and debug issues.
- Core engineer of a Docker-based development environment, used in conjunction with Kubernetes in staging and production.
- Develop and maintain the current API platform.
- Guide and support internal engineering teams, 3rd party developers, and customers to integrate with the Zendesk API.
Senior Software Engineer - Zendesk: App Market Platform
April 2013 - November 2014 (Melbourne, Australia)
- Project Lead of the Zendesk Developer Portal project, which included features such as automated documentation generation and publication, as well as tools to communicate with the developer community.
- Creator and principal engineer of a Boxen-based development environment, which significantly reduced the time Zendesk engineers could onboard (from a week to one day).
- Worked on the team responsible for the App Market, App Framework, and public apps.
Independent Contractor - Various
January 2012 - March 2013, July 2011 - November 2011 (Sydney + Melbourne, Australia)
- Developed new functionality and managed existing code on HTML5 web apps, consumer websites, extranets, APIs, and custom content management systems.
- Managed the digital arm of a business including consulting, planning, developing and liaising with 3rd parties on a range of the technical aspects of the website.
- Worked remotely, independently, and collaboratively.
Senior Front-end Developer - Visual Jazz Isobar
March 2012 - December 2012 (Melbourne, Australia)
- Project Lead of the VicRoads "Off The Grid" campaign. An innovative, award-winning project aimed at reducing congestion and helping the environment in Melbourne, by attempting to get drivers to switch to walking, riding, car-pooling, or taking public transport.
- Contracted to Medibank, to provide expertise for the development of a new version of their website, including the development of a interactive health plan picker.
- Developed and maintained a number of customers' websites and email campaigns.
Lead Developer - Autumn:01
September 2003 - June 2011 (Sydney, Australia)
- Developed large-scale websites for companies like Toshiba Australia and New Zealand.
- Architectured and created custom content management systems, email templating and delivery systems, eCommerce applications, blogging and forum platforms.
- Comprehensive knowledge of hosting environments, which included setting up dedicated staging and production servers backed by Microsoft technologies.
- Managed a team of junior to mid-level developers.
Co-founder/Technical Lead - Threadswap
2010 (Sydney, Australia)
Threadswap, was a clothes swapping website offering a sustainable alternative to buying new clothes. Customers could list their old clothes, assign value using a points system, and trade them for other listed items.
- Developed the business and marketing strategy and direction.
- Led conceptual thinking and comprehensively developed all technical aspects of the company website.
- Successfully engineered the development of a sophisticated, scalable website platform, which allowed the expansion of the brand to include Threadswap Baby and Threadswap Kids.
Diploma of Information Technology: Software Development (Northern Sydney Institute - TAFE NSW)
2002 (Graduated with Distinction)
My interests include; coding, music production, retro gaming, cycling, snowboarding, reading, and live music.